Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Why My Dad Is Awesome (And Why His Writing Is Tattooed On My Arm)


If there's one question I'm constantly asked about blogging, it's how I came up with the blog name "I Love You More Than Carrots." 

The answer is simple and like many things in my life, I owe it all to my Dad. As Father's Day quickly approaches, I couldn't think of a better story to share here on the blog, however, I will warn you, you may want to grab a box of tissues. 



[Side note: While looking through photo albums for pictures of my Dad to include in this post, I shouldn't be surprised at just how many I have of him with my boys. I'm beyond grateful for these photos and for his smile that graces every. single. one. of. them. You'll soon see why.] 


It all started back in 1985, at the ripe old age of 2 and during my routine bedtime. I kissed my Dad goodnight and told him I loved him, just as I had every other night before that. Without thinking, he asked "how much do you love me?" and with wisdom far beyond my years as well as a serious apparent adoration for the vegetable, I promptly responded, "I love you more than carrots." 
It was because of that moment, this silly little phrase stuck and became something quite special between us. Over the years, and as cards, emails and phone calls were all closed with the saying, "I Love You More Than Carrots" became simply, "ILYMTC" and eventually just "LYMTC."


When I first started blogging in 2008, I couldn't think of a better title for the adventure I was about to embark on. After all, it's my Dad who has always encouraged me to pursue even the craziest ideas in my head. But as I mentioned earlier, "ILYMTC" is so much more than just our little saying or the title of my blog.
In February of 2010, when 4 months pregnant with my first baby, I received a phone call at work that I wouldn't ever wish on my worst enemy. It was my Mother, telling me in that mom voice I now know all too well not to worry but that she was sitting in the ER (and had been for a couple of hours, geethanksmom) with my Dad who appeared to have suffered a stroke at the base of his brain stem. 

Although his left side was marginally affected, by the grace of God himself, he ended up making an almost full recovery. If you asked my Dad what devastated him most about the residual weakness, he would likely tell you that it was the effect that the stroke had on his handwriting. 

In my thirty years I've never met a man with more beautiful handwriting than my father. Out of thousands of letters, those who knew him well could pick out his writing from miles away and as he recovered from the stroke, he worked his tail off, spending hours scribbling on newspapers, hospital menus, napkins.. anything he could get his hands.. hoping to strengthen that left hand of his. 

Talk about motivation and perseverance in the face of great obstacles. Although it made me ill to see his handwriting look like that of a 4th grader and to witness how upset that deficit made him, I will never be prouder of my Dad for putting on a brave face and dedicating himself so passionately, so determined to regaining that strength. 
Eventually, through hours of practice and relentless physical therapy, my Dad's strength in that left side fully recovered. His handwriting, once again, is unmistakably his own. Beautiful and unique. 
It was shortly after my Dad's stroke that I wanted to honor him, remembering not only the miraculous recovery he made but also paying tribute to him as the remarkable man he is in my life. Having already come too close to losing him once, I didn't want to wait until it was too late. 

So, I got a tattoo

Not only is this the story of how I came to name my blog but it's also the story of how I got my very first tattoo at the age of twenty-seven. How, despite telling my Dad I wanted to get a tattoo, that it actually put the biggest smile on his face, one that I'll never forget. You know, once he got over how I was permanently marking my body and with his own handwriting no less.  


In his very own handwriting on the inside of my left wrist sits the letters, "LYMTC." It is a constant reminder of true passion, strength, dedication, bravery and most of all, the unconditional love that my Dad has always blessed me with and continues to bless my family and his three grandsons with. 

Tell me, is there a Dad in your life that you want to celebrate a little extra this year? Maybe one that always brings out the smiles in your family or whose constant strength, dedication and unconditional love for his family motivates you to be a better person?

Oral-B, the #1 dentist-recommended toothbrush brand worldwide, is working together with Target to host the Power Dad's Smile Everyday Sweepstakes with over $1000 in prizes starting June 2! 

To enter, all you must do is share a photo of you and your Dad on Twitter or Instagram using #oralbsweeps between June 2 and June 15. You could win the Father's Day Power Bundle which includes the Oral-B Black ProfessionalCare 1000 Rechargeable Toothbrush, the Braun Series 7 760 Shaver and a $250 Target gift card! From 

Now, for the Dads in our lives that most likely have it all, that's a pretty great gift idea! Especially considering that, if your Dad or husband is anything like mine, they don't replace their razors or their toothbrushes often enough! Thanks, Oral-B at Target! Good luck to all those who enter!


I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.

5 comments:

  1. What a special story! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)
    what a beautiful, beautiful story. and tattoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet! Fun to hear the origin of your blog name!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a wonderful story, thank you for sharing! I never knew why your blog was named ILYMTC. I saw your tattoo at Blissdom and thought, well, she's just super passionate about her blog :) Now I see it's so much more than that. You're lucky to have such a special relationship with your Dad; have a wonderful Father's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful story. My husbands mother passed away in 2005 and before she passed she left him a letter. He took that letter to a tattoo artist and got some of her handwriting written on his should "God didn't take me from you, he only took my hand, love mom" it's beautiful. I love when people incorporate tattoos with beautiful stories.

    ReplyDelete