Friday, September 27, 2013

10 Things I Never Knew About Everything Until Last Week.


If you've been following me over on Instagram or Twitter for the last couple of weeks then you know that just last week I had the privilege of traveling to the Tri-State area with the #PureAirBlog team on behalf of Miele, a world renown high end domestic and professional grade appliance maker.

I had such a blast making new friends, learning about Miele (pronounced "Mee-lah," as I'm sure you're wondering) and touring the Good Housekeeping Research Institute in New York City. I learned so much during my short stay with them and I can't wait to share so much of that with you over the course of the next six months. I promise you, it's not nearly as boring as you think! 

I wanted to pop in today and share with you 10 quick things I never knew until last week, things like...did you know you should be vacuuming your mattress on an almost-regular basis? Me either, but I'll get to that later, right after I go hang my head in shame.


10. Meet the #PureAirBlog team. I'm always so amazed how you can take a group of women bloggers from all around the country, put them together in a single room and it's like we've all been friends for the longest time. Just five minutes into our Welcome Dinner at EnoTerra, a delicious farm-to-table restaurant in Kingston, New Jersey, the conversation was so loud you could barely hear yourself think. My thoughts on the meal? Delicious and a certain recommendation if you're in the area!  My thoughts on the company? A wonderful group of women that I'm so grateful to have had the pleasure to meet! Please check out their blogs, they are truly awesome, creative, fantastic writers! From left to right, Shannah, Amy, Samantha, Rachel, yours truly, Aimee, Tracie and Christina.

9. With more than 16,000 employees worldwide, Miele is the largest family-owned appliance manufacturer in the world. How awesome is that? After just three short days with them, it's evident how much Miele values and appreciates their employees and how the feeling is more than mutual! And they don't just sell vacuums! Among some of Miele's most popular appliances are induction cook tops, coffee systems, washers/dryers, dishwashers and more!


8. Speaking of coffee systems, this beauty by Miele has quickly become a must-have in our house. The Europeans sure don't mess around when it comes to their morning brew and I think we could learn a lot from them in this arena! This coffee unit can be placed anywhere in the home as it runs on a canister of water and doesn't require a water line hookup. We started each morning with a coffee/cappuccino/latte from Miele and let's just say you can't have a bad day that starts with Miele coffee. I'll take one in the master closet, please. 


7. I got to spend a great deal of time in the Miele test kitchens over the course of my stay. In fact, the resident Home Economist, Holly, shared with us just how she cooks with two of Miele's all-star appliances, the steam oven and the induction cook top. Yes, you heard me correctly, an oven that cooks entirely with steam. I had no idea such thing existed! It's virtually impossible to burn any food it cooks! As for the job title, "resident Home Economist?" I'm pretty sure that's one of the best jobs ever. How fun! Not only we were in the test kitchen for delicious breakfast frittatas but we also spent some time with a local chef who shared with us the secrets to making the perfect pizza! 


6. I'll admit, I didn't know nearly a fraction of what there is to know about floorcare before meeting Scott Lombardi, the Director of Floorcare at Miele, Princeton. Not only did he do a wonderful job explaining why it's so important to treat your floors accordingly but within minutes he had me convinced as to why a Miele vacuum is the only appliance guaranteed to do that job correctly. "Your vacuum is the only appliance in your house that moves. It is the closest you will get to having an automobile experience in your house." I never quite looked at it that way but as soon as I returned home, I just couldn't look at my old vacuum the same. Photos are courtesy of the Miele twitter stream. (How funny are we bloggers with our iPhones at the ready for pictures?)


5. In between our sessions at Miele we had the chance to get out and enjoy the beautiful weather and the nearby campus of Princeton University. We were graciously given a tour by the hilariously funny Mimi of Princeton Tour Company and I was in stitches for at least half of our walk around campus. "Drunk on power," it certainly wasn't your run of the mill stuffy campus tour, that's for sure! It's no wonder that Princeton not only embraces the unique individuals of their town and campus but celebrates them and their brilliant minds as well! Did you know that Princeton welcomes both believers and non-believers, not pushing religion on any of its students? Therefore, the stained glass windows of the cathedral are filled with secular individuals!

4. If I were to ask you, "what's the greenest way to clean your home?" How would you answer? Would you tell me the names of different "green" household cleaners? What if I told you that the greenest way to clean your home is without any cleaners, chemical or otherwise, of any sort? Believable yet a bit unbelievable at the same time, right? It's true though. If you can find a vacuum with the right tools that adequately and sufficiently traps and encapsulates dust and dirt, that's all you need. Of course I'm going to tell you that the only way to go is Miele and it wasn't until I was given the chance to "test drive" numerous models that I was a true believer.


3. Is there anything cuter than cookies frosted with vacuums? I think not. I swore up and down that I would save at least one of the cookies for Carter then I got home but those poor delicious cookies from The Flour Pot bakery in Ambler, PA, never stood a chance. 


2. On our very last morning with Miele, we headed into New York City for a tour of the Good Housekeeping Research Institute that sits tucked inside the beautiful walls of the Hearst Tower. We sat down to a delicious brunch in the very same room that many US Presidents and First Ladies have dined in right before we started our tour of the very research labs that rigorously test every day products we love and appreciate. From tech gadgets to large home appliances to moisturizer and diapers, the folks at The Good Housekeeping Institute take their market research very seriously! It's no secret that the Miele vacuum has earned the Good Housekeeping seal and stands proudly in their research facility!



1. I think it's safe to say that I never knew just how much fun one could have spending three days with complete strangers learning the in's and out's of vacuums, floorcare and more with Miele, The GoodHousekeeping Institute and more. I really cannot wait to share with you what I've learned in the coming months! Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to use my brand new vacuum to vacuum every single stitch of floor in our house. 

Don't fret, I'll be vacuuming each and every one of our mattresses as well. Did you know that you should be vacuuming your mattresses at least once every six months? About that...

I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own. Thank you so much to Miele, Clever Girls and my readers who make trips and learning experiences like these all the more possible. 
 
 
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment